Code of Conduct
It is the policy of Galway Kayak Club (GKC) that all members show respect and understanding for each other and act in a way that reflects the Code of Conduct of the Club. The aim is for all paddlers to improve their skill levels and have fun in a safe environment.
Every aspect of GKC is run on a purely voluntary basis by committee and club members. In order to operate on this basis, all members are requested to treat each other respectfully at all times and take responsibility for the care and condition of club facilities, boats and other equipment.
- Be familiar with and follow club rules
- Treat other club members with respect at all times, on and off the water … treat other paddlers as you would want to be treated yourself
- Control tempers and avoid behaviour which may inconvenience or upset other club members, other water users, etc.
- Co-operate with and listen to your instructor / session leader
- Take care of all property belonging to the club or club members
- Only use club equipment, or private equipment you have the owners’ permission to use
- Carry, launch and use club equipment with due care
- Report damage of any club equipment to a member of the Committee immediately, either by telephone, email or in person
- Make good any damage to club or others property in a professional manner, or if necessary replace
- Return club equipment to storage in the location that they were taken from
- Leave the container / storage facilities in a clean and tidy state after use – ensure all boats emptied of water before returning
- Lock the club container carefully after use
- Help out with cleaning the container / storage facilities as required
Instructors / Session Leaders
- Consider the well being and safety of paddlers before the development of skills
- Develop an appropriate working relationship with paddlers, based on mutual trust and respect
- Make sure all activities are appropriate to the age, ability and experience of those taking part
- Display consistently high standards of behaviour
- Follow ICU and club guidelines and policies
Kayaking is an adventurous sport that by its very nature involves a degree of risk of personal injury or death.
Galway Kayak Club (GKC) cannot ensure complete safety at all times, members accept these risks and agree to be responsible for their own actions and involvement.